Humanitarianism and Development Research Group: Call for papers
December 16, 2014
CALL FOR PAPERS: SOCIAL CHANGE FROM BELOW AND ABOVE: INTERROGATING REVOLUTION AND POLITICAL SPACE
This is a call for papers for PGR students and early-career researchers who wish to present at a workshop, 21st - 22nd May 2015 on the above theme broadly defined.
Invited keynote speakers are:
- Dr Liam Kane, Centre for Open Studies, University of Glasgow, who will speak on comparing social movements and political campaigns in Scotland and Latin America
- Dr Robiie Shilliam, Reader in International Relations, Queen May, University of London, who will speak on Race, Resistance and Rastafari in the UK
- Dr Maura Durry, Lecturer in Global Health, University of Manchester, who will speak on revolution from above in relation to Veneseual and other settings in Latin America
Additional presentations by PGR researchers include:
- Helen Underhill (IDPM & MIE), speaking on Transnational perspectives of the Egyptian revolution
- Luke Bhatia (Politics), speaking on Transnational contours of activism and the potential for justice in Bahrain
During the afternoon on day two there will be an opportunity to discuss how papers can be reworked into journal articles with Liam Kane and Robbie Shilliam, and plan to publish a special issue in Third World Quarterly.
Expressions of interest, potential paper titles and provisional asbtracts (300 words) need to be submitted by 27th February 2015.
Full papers need to be submitted by 13th April 2015
Submissions and any queries hsould in the first instance be sent to:
- Helen Underhill, firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Dr Tanja Muller, email@example.com