UK – South Africa Researcher Links Grants for Travel and Hosting of Scientific Events 2015
June 3, 2015
UK – South Africa Researcher Links
Grants for Travel and Hosting of Scientific Events
2015 – First Call
Closing date: 30 June 2015
The National Research Foundation (NRF) of South Africa in partnership with prominent UK academies (i.e. the British Academy, the Royal Academy of Engineering, and the Royal Society) and the British Council is pleased to invite applications for the UK – South Africa Researcher Links grants. These grants will support mobility and hosting of workshops, and are designed to provide financial support for researchers in the UK and South Africa. The Newton-South Africa Researcher Links grants are intended to provide small-scale seed funding to:
- Support the research and innovation capacity of South Africa for their long-term sustainable economic development and social welfare;
- Expand and maximise cooperation in research and innovation, between policy makers in government, government agencies, research organisations, higher education institutions, companies and enterprises;
- Promote increased research and collaboration that support long-term sustainable partnerships between the UK and South Africa;
- Enhance networking within the UK and South Africa science systems;
- Foster collaboration in order to improve the quality of research outputs by UK and South African researchers;
- Contribute to economic growth by addressing the major challenges faced by South Africa;
- Contribute to capacity building of early and established researchers in South African and the UK.
Applications will be accepted in any discipline/multidisciplinary area (including from the natural sciences, social sciences, engineering, arts and humanities).
Who may apply
- Advanced PhD students (at a minimum, in the second year of research) registered at South African or UK public universities. PhD students should apply through their supervisors;
- Postdoctoral, early career and established researchers. Researchers have to be full-time employees or on a fixed-term contract at any of the following institutions are eligible to apply:
- South African and UK universities /universities of technology;
- Recognised national research institutions such as the national facilities (in the case of South Africa);
- Science councils.
Applications must be submitted through an online application process to the National Research Foundation (NRF) athttps://nrfsubmission.nrf.ac.za : UK – South Africa Researcher Links Grants for Travel and Hosting of Scientific Events 2015
Call opens : 1 June 2015
Call closes : 30 June 2015
Please note that applications submitted outside the NRF Submission system will not be accepted.
NRF Contacts for enquiries:
International Relations and Cooperation
Tel: +27 12 481 4297
Tel: +27 12 481 4157