Members Login

Travel to the UK

This page is intended to offer useful information for African postgraduate students and postdoctoral researchers seeking to undertake further study or research in the UK. We are not able to give advice on immigration or visa issues, but you may find the further sources of information suggested below helpful. For information on scholarships, fellowships or research funding please see the funding section of this site.

Studying and living in the UK

The British Council's Education UK site provides information on many aspects of studying in the UK, including details of UK higher education institutions, courses and opportunities for scholarships or other funding. It also provides advice on travelling to the UK and visa and immigration requirements.

Travelling to the UK

In addition to the above sources of information, further advice on immigration and visa requirements is available from the UK Border Agency and Visa Services websites.

Your may also wish to consult the local visa section at the British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate-General in your country. Your local British Council office may also be able to help you understand UK immigration procedures. If you are applying through one of the major scholarship schemes you may be entitled to assistance or additional support in arranging travel and in completing visa and immigration formalities from the scheme administrators.

Further advice on coming to study in the UK is provided by the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

Further information for researchers

Academics who have secured a short-term research fellowship should contact the international office at the UK institution due to host them during their visit for further information and advice. The international office should be signposted from the institution's main website. You may find the UK Border Agency's information on Government Authorised Exchange useful. This site includes information on immigration regulations for sponsored researchers visiting a UK higher education institution.